Pregnancy Loss

Dealing with a miscarriage can be devastating. While many may pass off a miscarriage as a pregnancy that "just wasn't meant to be", these words rarely help to relieve your grief. Although a miscarriage can be an isolating experience, it doesn't have to be. Women who are or who have previously dealt with a miscarriage are often a great resource to those currently suffering from a pregnancy loss. Share your words with us and share your support with other women.

It is best to avoid using stimulants during pregnancy. Amphetamines and dextroamphetamines are powerful drugs and when taken during pregnancy, they can cause miscarriage, early labor or birth defects. You may want to ask other women if they have had personal experience with this.

Post your Story

Fields marked * are required.
Story title:*
Category: *
Your Story:* (story must be at least 200 characters long)
Enter security code:

What Happened

I am 16 and about a year ago I found out I was going to have a baby. At first I was scared but then again it wasn't as bad as me being scared to tell the dad. A week or so after knowing about it, I finally had the courage to tell the dad. He wanted nothing to do with me or the baby. Well 8 months went by and I started having bad stomach pains. So I went to my doctor and they said I was starting to have a miscarriage. I didn't know what to think. I just sat there staring dead into space.

That night I went home and all I did was cry. All that ran through my head was- well your dad got what he wanted, but I lost everything. Now it's hard to cope with but I just think that is what G-d wanted and that I need to wait before I think of having another kid; clearly I wasn't financially ready for one at that time.

So girls who are pregnant at a young age or girls who are thinking about it- think about yourself. Are you really ready to make that choice? Just choose the choice that is going to help you make a good life for you and the little one.


Amanda Nickerson

I Don't Understand

When I was 18 my husband now and I found out that we were going to be parents. We were both excited and scared. I ended up having and a really bad time with the pregnancy. But I got a beautiful little boy out of it! We decided after we got married and a little more stable to try for a second baby. It took almost a year of trying, but finally we found out that we were expecting. We were sooooo happy. We told our son who was now two that he was going to get a brother or a sister soon; he was just as happy as we were! I had to go to my 8week/1st ultrasound alone because my husband had to work and could not get off.

Im laying there on the table waiting to hear my baby's heartbeat for the first time and after looking for about 5 min, the doctor turns to me and says that she was sorry that she could not find a heart beat. Ilost it. It killed me the baby that I had tried for, for so long had been taken from me. The doctor sent me home with some pills that would help me miscarry on my own. I spent the next few days laying in the bed not wanting to face the world. The pills didn't work, so I ended up having to have a D&C. The doctor told me that it was normal for woman to have at least one miscarriage and that my next pregnancy would be fine. I was really depressed. People tried to be nice and tell me that they were sorry and that everything would work out, but i didn't feel fine.

I was having a really hard time with it. And to tell my two year old son that there was no more baby was really hard and even harder for him to understand. After a few months I felt a little better and decided that I wanted to try again. So after 6 months I got pregnant again. Again we where so excited but I decided that I was going to tell only family and close friends because in the back of my mind I was still thinking that something could go wrong. I went for my first doctors appointment and everything was great. Then when i was about 5 weeks I woke up one morning bleeding. I called my doctor and went in they checked me a took blood and told me to come back in two days so they could check the hormone levels in the blood work. They said that more than likely I had miscarried.

I don't understand why this keep happening to me. What did I do to deserve this? I go back a few days later and they confirm that I did miscarry. I thought that I was depressed before- now its really bad. Sometimes I just sit and cry my husband has tried to help and be there for me, but sometimes I don't want to be around anyone at all. I don't get it. No one should feel like this. Will I ever have another baby? Will I ever feel normal again?

Becky Beck

Our Baby

My story starts out with my 20 week anatomy/gender ultrasound. I was actually 21 weeks when I was able to get an appointment. I rushed to my 09:30 appointment where my husband met me at the office. As soon as the scan began, I could tell that something was wrong. The Techs face told the story. The doctor came in and told my husband and I that our baby had multiple anomolies and most likely had trisomy 18. We were as you can imagine in total shock. We were sent at once for a level 2 Ultrasound along with amniocentesis. I had very low levels of amniotic fluid and it was difficult for the MD to obtain any fluid. After leaving the office I did pass a small amount of fluid. I never felt the baby move again. My husband went to work that morning because we had no idea if the baby would pass or not.

I woke the next morning called the Doctor's office and they asked me to come in. There was no heartbeat. I was devestated, but I didn't cry. I drove home in shock, packed my bag, made arrangements for my daughter, and waited for my husband to come home. My husband in a rush to get home, crushed his foot with a large pipe and could barely walk by the time he got home.
We left for the hospital and I was admitted. They started the induction around 3pm on 2/10/10. I took max doses of Demerol that the doc had prescribed for me. I did not want to feel any physical pain. The emotional was overwhelming enough. I woke up in the middle of the night with intense pain. I delivered the little angel at 2:05 on 2/11/10. They believe she was a girl, but she was so swollen they could not tell us for sure. (We will find out if/ when genetic testing is complete) We named her Savannah Rose and she was 1lb 6oz and 8 inchs long. Her skin was very red but her face was so little and cute.
I did have to have a D and C after delivery, but went home later that morning. I have never experienced such grief in my life. I hope this is the worst thing I ever go through.
It has been 4 days now and my breast milk has engorged my breasts which is not helping matters. I am looking to God for strength and hopeful I will soon again be a happy person.


Joaquin Amadeo 12-17-09

I am 23 years old and married to the most wonderful man I have ever met. We got married after only knowing each other a few months; it was just perfect, meant to be. Everything about our relationship was falling into place effortlessly; we were crazy about each other and had all the same core values and ambitions. We wanted to start a family while we were young and able to. So immediately, even before we actually "got married" we began TTC! We were so excited, we thought you could just decide you wanted to get pregnant and get started right away. We didn't realize the importance of beginning prenatal treatment BEFORE you get pregnant. The traditional sort of way is to decide and TRY to get pregnant. We got started trying to get pregnant the instant after we decided it was time. However, I started my period a few days later so we thought I was not pregnant.
Surprise! 4 weeks later I am experiencing all sorts of symptoms, breast tenderness, cramping, and NO sign of my period.
I was in shock; I couldn't believe that we were already pregnant. But it was the greatest shock of my life, I had always dreamt of becoming pregnant someday! Most of my friends already have children so I was the last one to hop on the train, and I was completely ecstatic.
My hubby's and my life seemed sooo perfect. He's pre-med now, with three degrees, I have my degree, we bought a home, got married...everything was happening perfectly...almost too perfectly.
I started going to my monthly checkups and taking my prenatals as soon as i found out that I was pregnant but couldn’t keep up with them very well since at my 9th week I was having a lot of nausea and vomiting and I was also on antibiotics for a UTI I had been diagnosed with, it was horrible. I could not stand the smell of anything! Regardless of whether it was a perfume or trash sitting out, or just the smell of fried food, or even my husband’s natural smell…I just could NOT stand it! I couldn’t even stand for my hubby to kiss me, it was soooo bad. The doc put me on Unisom and B6 and also gave me some phenergan which helped but made me soooo drowsy. My first pregnancy, I had no idea what was going on with my body, horrible horrible heartburn and indigestion! I mean I had the works given to me! It got to the point of dehydration too! It was bad and sometimes I almost didn’t want to be pregnant, I feel so horrible now because I DID want my baby, I was just so hormonal and emotional and experiencing so much discomfort that it really did confuse me. However, the late night “swishes” I began to feel in my tummy made all the ugly go away.
The slight movement, that feels like little fish swimming in the pit of your stomach, “butterflies,” began at about my 12th week and were very faint but progressively got stronger. It was truly exciting my pregnancy was becoming more and more real along with my little bump forming. It was great and then all of my horrible symptoms went away.
Everyone had told me that the symptoms would soon subside, and they did. I was sooo relieved. Finally, I could enjoy my pregnancy and quit depriving my child of food! I began all my cravings; this time in my pregnancy was delicious! I savored every moment along with my growing tummy! It was such a beautiful moment!
But it didn’t last long, 2 weeks later I go in for my QUAD blood testing that is routine at 16 weeks. I felt quite uneasy about it all, I even related my concerns to a couple of people. I was mainly concerned because my late night “butterflies” had stopped occurring and I didn’t feel myself growing anymore. Call me crazy or call it mother’s instinct, I knew something was wrong.
Well I was 17 weeks when I went in for the testing and my next checkup was at 18 wks! Me and my hubby were so excited it was going to be the sono scan that would tell Boy or Girl. But 4 days before the appt. I receive a call from the nurse that one of the tests came back with a high result and that I needed to go in the next day. Then I became really concerned, she said the test that came back abnormal was the one for NTDs. I completely panicked and bawled my soul out, I wanted my baby to be okay. I kept asking my husband what would happen if the baby had passed? I had a feeling, a feeling that he wasn’t with anymore. I was miserable and anxious. We did all the research we could that night about NTDs and how they develop and how they are prevented and a wave of guilt suffocated me because I had not been able to take my prenatals after my 24/7 morning sickness took over. I finally calmed down and spent a relaxed evening with my hubby who was my rock, my support. He said everything right and everything that was able to put me at ease.
The next day was the appt. I remember I was standing down the hallway when I saw the doctor come up and he told me (smiling, laughing) that I had gotten so much bigger since the last time he had seen me. I felt so proud of myself, I was taking care of my baby, eating right and making sure everything was okay and in turn he was growing. The nurse walked in and first took a Doppler to look for the baby’s HB, there was only a sound of swishing but nothing else. I thought maybe it isn’t able to pick it up but the sonogram will, I was still hopeful. The nurse stepped out and the doctor came in, he started the sonogram and after a while I noticed that the baby was not moving and just didn’t “look” right. He was crunched over in a very tight, confined space it seemed like. I just knew it. I knew it then. My baby was dead. It took the doctor a moment, and then he explained that he had called us in to give us the results of the QUAD test and did not expect to see that the baby had passed. I couldn’t believe it. My heart sank, I felt so awkward, I felt like a failure, I felt that I was in a horrid nightmare, a nightmare that was not real. It all became so hazy, even now, remembering is a blur. I definitely stepped out of myself and that present moment and everything was very slow. My mother and husband were bawling, couldn’t believe it. I’m my parent’s only child, and they have been anticipating grandparenthood since as long as I can remember. This baby was long expected and hoped for, it was our light of joy our hope for the future.
I had never felt such a repulsion for my body, as I did that day. I felt like I did not belong in my body. It was an alien to me. I no longer felt pregnant and happy, I felt death in me, I felt like death was a part of me and I couldn’t shake it away. And then I felt like a bad person because I could not go another day with my dead child inside of me. It wasn’t fair. It was my first pregnancy. I was supposed to be a mom.
I had so many thoughts and questions flying and running into each other in my mind. What had I done to deserve this? Did I provoke this? Am I a bad person? I don’t belong to religion, is God punishing me? I am a failure, I couldn’t complete the task of motherhood. I was defective, I let everyone down.
To make everything worse, I was going to have to go through a regular labor only to have no compensation at the end. I wasn’t ready, I had planned on making plans and training for labor later on in my pregnancy. I had time. I was only 18 weeks pregnant. But the truth was I didn’t have time, the time was now and I had no clue about what I was REALLY going to experience. They induced me at 8 PM and I spent all night with my labor pains and my horrible reality. I wasn’t going to have my baby. The baby I had yearned for. In the morning I had my baby boy. I wasn’t told at the doctor’s office, I didn’t want to know, I had wanted to detach myself from the entire situation. Knowing now that he was a baby boy, made everything more real and a little easier. He was a normal looking baby, he was so beautiful. No noticeable defects. Just a regular 18 week baby. He had my nose and my husband’s long skinny fingers. He was gorgeous!
We didn’t know what the protocol was on this weird situation. Should we have a funeral, should we even name him, I mean a billion things that you never imagine you will have to decide for. As horrible as people might think this was we didn’t know if we should use the names we had already decided on prior to the horrible news. We had decided Joaquin Amadeo for a boy but we didn’t want to use up the name. However, we reminded ourselves that he was a person that had existed if even briefly in our lives and decided that was rightfully his name. Our baby boy Joaquin Amadeo! We did in fact decide to have a small burial for our lost angel and it was the best thing we could have done. It gave us the assurance that his body was okay and gave us a place to go visit him whenever we want.
It has been an extremely difficult journey and it has only been 2 months since this ordeal. But I like to think that it was all a part of a higher authority’s will. He knows why everything happens. Now I am petrified of having to go through that again, but the tests done did not shed any significant light on the cause of our stillbirth and the doctor says we have to try again in order to attribute it to a genetic disorder. We are already trying again, and praying everything goes well this time around. I have been taking my prenatals way in advance and a high dose of folic acid due to the abnormal screening results we had received and I am going to be extra cautious! I hope our story is able to help others cope, I know, firsthand, that its nice to know you are not alone. Unfortunately, it happens. And reading other’s stories helps me cope.


no heartbeat found on my baby

me and my bf age 19 had been together for a yr and a half when i found out i was pregnant at the beginning of december 2009 before i was even pregnant i had a feelin i was going to be as we wer not exacly trying to stop it happening we wer so chuffed when we found out on the test and everything was going fine we had a great xmas together just the 3 of us i was over the moon it was like a dream, we kept it a secret for the first 12 weeks and decided to tell my parents at 10 weeks they wer so suportive and happy for us i visited my midwife and mentioned i was havin stomach cramps at 10 weeks she said this was normal a few days later i got brown spotting i NEW ther was something rong as i still had cramps i went to the hospital as docters wer out of hours i was told i had a water infection and given antibiotics a few days later the cramping got heavier and i started light bleedin the blood was bright red i was still reasured all women bleed, the next day clots appeared in my blood i still new something wasnt right so i went to the hospital for an early ultrasound my boyfriend kept telin me everything was fine i new it wasnt, the doctor told me i have some bad news there is a baby but there is no heartbeat my baby had died 2 weeks ago at 9 weeks we were distraught , and the baby hadnt come way from me so i decided to have a medical misscaridge i had 2 go back 2 days later for tablets and bloodtests, the worst of it was i was still carrying my dead baby, my bf was tring my best to hide his feelins for me but i felt i cudnt cope unless i had tht feeling of been pregnant again back i cry every day for the baby and feel i will never be happy it has been a week today and i feel my world has been ripped apart i was so happy with everything to look forward 2 now i feel i shud just give up, i want another baby as soon as but my partner isnt sure i feel like i cant even be with him if he doesnt want to try again quickly i am hating waitin even tho i need time to recover i really do feel for everyone who this has happend to and can imagine ur pain and thoughts of it happening again my advice is to keep busy and talk about it to family and ur partner as much as possible xx


Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166, 167, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172, 173, 174, 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182, 183, 184, 185, 186, 187, 188, 189, 190, 191, 192, 193, 194, 195, 196, 197, 198, 199, 200, 201, 202, 203, 204, 205, 206, 207, 208, 209, 210, 211, 212, 213, 214, 215, 216, 217, 218, 219, 220, 221, 222, 223, 224, 225, 226, 227, 228, 229, 230, 231, 232, 233, 234, 235, 236, 237, 238, 239, 240, 241, 242, 243, 244, 245, 246, 247, 248, 249, 250, 251, 252, 253, 254, 255, 256, 257, 258, 259, 260, 261, 262, 263, 264, 265, 266
Copyright 2024©
All rights reserved.